PILOT TRAINING & CERTIFICATION
Swiss Aviation Consulting will also support you with the training and certification required to operate your drone. Together with our selected partners, we offer a wide range of training courses tailored to your specific needs.
Training is not required only if you are using very light drones:
- if the drone bears a CE class mark 0, you only must be familiar with the manufacturer’s instructions;
- with privately built drones with a weight less than 250 g, you are not required to undergo any training.
However, all other remote pilots must undergo the required training.
This means that, in the ‘open’ category, all remote pilots flying in subcategories A1, A2 and A3 are required to:
- be familiar with the manufacturer’s manual;
- complete an online training course provided by the National Aviation Authority (please consult their website); and
- successfully complete an online theoretical knowledge examination (provided at the end of the online training) before they can fly the drone.
However, if you intend to operate in A2 subcategory, you must in addition to the above:
- Complete practical training of yourself in order to familiarise yourself with the drone and ensure you reach a good level of control.
- Undergo an additional theoretical knowledge examination.
For the ‘open’ category or standard scenarios, the National Aviation Authority is responsible for issuing the certificates. A certificate for Remote Pilot competency is valid for 5 years.
For operation falling under the ‘specific’ category, the training depends on the operation you intend to conduct. So unless the operation falls into a standard scenario, after the risk assessment, you will need to propose a possible training course to the National Aviation Authority.
If your operation falls into a standard scenario, the remote pilot must:
- hold a certificate of remote pilot theoretical knowledge for operation under standard scenarios;
- hold an accreditation of completion of the STS-01 practical skill training.
For standard scenarios, the National Aviation Authority is responsible for issuing the certificates. A certificate for Remote Pilot competency is valid for 5 years.